2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1020–1030
1020. Authorization. A provisional district is created by the General Conference, upon recommendation of the General Board (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1590:11), or, in the interim of General Conference sessions, by the General Board. The authorizing act shall define the boundaries of the provisional district and assign to it an official name. Any proposed boundaries that will alter the existing bounds of an established district in the interim of General Conference sessions must have the approval of such district and shall be effected as required in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1060–1065 (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1655:34).
1025. Requirements. The minimum requirements for a provisional district are:
- (1) A minimum of five churches and 200 members.
- (2) A sufficient number of ordained ministers for a district board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1203).
- (3) The holding of all property in trust for The Wesleyan Church as required in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4610, or steps taken to accomplish the same (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4590-4630; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4650-4780; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4800-4820).
- (4) A recommendation by the Executive Director of Church Multiplication and Discipleship for recognition as a provisional district.
2. Organization and Government
1028. Jurisdiction. A provisional district shall be under the jurisdiction of the Executive Director of Church Multiplication and Discipleship, who shall supervise the district in accord with The Discipline, the Policy of the General Board for the Church Multiplication and Discipleship Division, and any other directives of the General Board or its Executive Board (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1655:27; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1785:2). The Executive Director of Church Multiplication and Discipleship shall be responsible for the developing of a provisional district to meet the requirements of an established district as soon as possible (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1036; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4105).
1030. Organization. A provisional district shall be organized in the same manner as an established district as set forth in The Discipline, insofar as possible, but with the following restrictions on its duties and powers:
- (1) District Superintendent. The district superintendent of a provisional district shall be elected by the district conference (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:31; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1303). The General Superintendent may, however, present one or more nominations, from which the district conference shall elect the district superintendent (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1935:31). The provisional district superintendent shall confer with the Executive Director of Church Multiplication and Discipleship concerning the important plans of the district, including the location of property, the erection of buildings, and financial matters (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1030:3). No property within a provisional district may be received, transferred, bought or sold without the written permission of the Executive Director of Church Multiplication and Discipleship.
- (2) District Officers, Boards and Committees. A provisional district shall first be concerned with the election of its district officials (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1255) and district board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1203). Other district departmental officers, boards, and committees shall be established as qualified personnel are available. It shall be the goal of the officials of a provisional district, in cooperation with the Executive Director of Church Multiplication and Discipleship (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1028), to meet the requirements for a complete district organization as soon as possible (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1038).
- (3) Amenability. The minutes of the provisional district conference and its district board of administration shall be reviewed by the Executive Director of Church Multiplication and Discipleship.