2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 705
From Wesleyan Discipline
705. Procedure of Initial Call of Pastor. Whenever it is necessary for a pastoral charge to secure a new pastor, the following regulations shall be observed:
- (1) The vote shall be for a two-year call, subject to such adjustment as the district superintendent shall approve, so that the term shall expire at the uniform time set by the General Conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:700).
- (2) The initial call may be for four years or an extended call if such is recommended by the local board of administration and approved by the district superintendent. In case of an extended call the rules governing an extended call shall apply (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:720).
- (3) The local board of administration, under the leadership of its vice- chair, shall counsel with the district superintendent concerning possible candidates. If the church desires to call a minister from another district or from outside the denomination, the local board of administration shall first secure from its own district superintendent assurance that the transfer of the minister would be approved (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:313:6).
- (4) When a candidate has been approved by a majority vote of the local board of administration (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:782:14), the candidate’s name shall be presented as a nomination to the local church conference, and the vote shall be taken in keeping with the regulations governing all pastoral voting (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:692).