2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 815
From Wesleyan Discipline
815. The church officers shall include all members of the local board of administration, local church trustees, lay leader, delegates to district conference and assistant treasurer, who shall serve subject to the following regulations:
- (1) They must be members of the local Wesleyan church electing them (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:302:4; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:558) and members who meet the leadership qualifications (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:260-268; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:558).
- (2) They shall be elected by the local church conference at its annual session (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:315:5-7; cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:820-823), except assistant treasurers (see 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:845) and persons filling offices designated by the local church conference as ex officio members of the local board of administration but chosen by the local board of administration (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:752). Vacancies occurring between annual sessions of the local church conference shall be filled for the unexpired term by the local board of administration. Vacancies may occur by death, by cessation of membership in The Wesleyan Church, by resignation from office or by removal (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:815:4).
- (3) They shall carry out their duties as given in The Discipline and as further defined by the local church conference and the local board of administration.
- (4) They shall be under the general supervision of the pastor, shall be amenable to the local church conference, and may be removed for cause or when the best interests of the church so require, upon recommendation of the local board of administration and by a majority vote of the local church conference, or as otherwise provided for (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:752:1; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:815:2; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:825:4).