From Wesleyan Discipline
Revision as of 13:02, 22 March 2021 by (Created page with "'''<span id="3015">3015.</span>''' Those pursuing ministerial studies under the direction of the district board of ministerial development shall include those licensed as mini...")
3015. Those pursuing ministerial studies under the direction of the district board of ministerial development shall include those licensed as ministerial students as follows:
- (1) Ministerial Student. A member who meets the leadership qualifications (260-268; 558) of The Wesleyan Church who confesses a call to be a minister (3000-3006) may be granted a license as a ministerial student by meeting the following requirements in order:
- (a) Membership in a local Wesleyan church within the district granting the license.
- (b) Recommendation from the local church conference or the local board of administration (655:7) to the district conference for license as a ministerial student.
- (c) Readiness to pursue studies with all diligence until completed, to prepare for ordination, and to give oneself wholly to the ministry in The Wesleyan Church when studies are completed.
- (d) Examination by the district board of ministerial development (1390:2) relative to qualifications for ministry (3000-3006) including a personal religious experience, ministerial call, and evidence thereof, and its recommendation to the district conference for the granting of the license (1390:5).
- (e) Enrollment in the Ministerial Study Course Agency and in a program of ministerial education approved by the district board of ministerial development.
- (f) Recommendation by the district board of administration for appointment as a ministerial student (3350:2) and its adoption by the district conference (1180:27d; 1233:10c; 1390:2).
- (g) Issuance and signing of the license by the district superintendent and the district secretary (6260).
- (2) Renewing a License for a Ministerial Student. The license for a ministerial student may be renewed annually by meeting the following requirements:
- (a) The reports from both the ministerial student and the Ministerial Study Course Agency show that progress has been made in the course of study.
- (b) The ministerial student shows readiness to continue studies in preparation for ordination in The Wesleyan Church (3350:2) or, for one having just completed the course of study, to take an appointment within the coming year.
- (c) The proper reports have been made (3015:4).
- (3) Rights of a Ministerial Student. As long as a ministerial student qualifies for and receives a license, the student shall have the right to:
- (a) Preach the gospel.
- (b) Be a nonvoting member of the district conference (1090:4).
- (c) Transfer from one district to another (3015:5d). The district superintendent shall send a letter directly to the district superintendent of the district to which the student is transferring and the student shall continue to be considered a member of the former district until a reply has been received from the latter district that the student has been duly received as a member of a local church within the district and has been duly enrolled as a ministerial student by the district.
- (4) Duties of a Ministerial Student. A person holding a license as a ministerial student shall be responsible to report annually to the district board of ministerial development concerning progress in studies (1390:2) and service (1390:7); and to report to the district superintendent and the board of ministerial development at other times as required.
- (5) Regulations for a Ministerial Student.
- (a) A ministerial student is amenable to the district which grants the license, and the license may be revoked between sessions of the district conference by judicial process (Gen. Bd. Policy on Ch. Disc. 5206-5212).
- (b) A ministerial student’s credentials shall consist of the license, signed annually by the district superintendent and the district secretary (6260), and an annual pocket certificate of standing, issued and signed by the district secretary (6430).
- (c) A ministerial student from another denomination will need to qualify for such license in The Wesleyan Church as set forth in 3015:1.
- (d) A ministerial student, when transferring district membership (3015:3c; 3100:1), in addition to a letter of transfer, shall be supplied by the district superintendent and the district board of ministerial development with a properly attested statement of standing in the ministerial study course.