From Wesleyan Discipline
Revision as of 17:47, 13 November 2022 by Seedthrower (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
(1) Qualifications for Commissioning. A licensed minister of The Wesleyan Church who has an abiding conviction of God’s call to be a minister (3000-3006) may be commissioned as a minister by meeting the following requirements in order:
(a) Forty years of age or older at the time of receiving a license as a ministerial student or a person who because of aptitude or other extenuating circumstances is approved by the district board of administration.
(b) Satisfactory service as a licensed minister with appointment by the district for a minimum of two years.
(c) Certification from the Ministerial Study Course Agency that the commissioned minister’s course of study or its equivalent has been completed (3210:3). The commissioned minister’s course of study must be completed within seven years of service under a ministerial license. The ministerial license shall not be renewed beyond the seventh year unless an extension of time is granted by the district board of ministerial development.
(d) Recommendation of the district board of ministerial development after consultation with the district board of administration.
(e) Election by the district conference by a majority vote to a commissioned minister’s status (1180:26-27).
(f) Public service of commissioning (5800), in which the minister shall witness to a Christian experience, conviction of a divine call to the ministry, commitment to the doctrines and practices of The Wesleyan Church, and loyalty to The Wesleyan Church, after which the minister shall be separated to the Christian ministry through the laying on of hands in the person of the General Superintendent (if present, 1935) or the representative appointed by the General Superintendent (1935; 3091), the district superintendent (1310:23), and Council of Ordination (1405).
(g) Issuance and signing of a commission certificate by the General Superintendent, the district superintendent, and the district secretary (6280).