4830. Unincorporated District. Except when local laws shall otherwise require, all grants, conveyances, devises, gifts, transfers, and assignments, now owned or hereafter made, of any property, real, personal, or mixed, to or for any unincorporated district or any organization, board, or similar body connected thereto and for any local property held by such a district (4660; 4680), shall be held by and/or conveyed to its duly elected board of trustees (1360–1365; 4855), and to their successors in office and to their assigns, as the board of trustees, of said district, in trust for the benefit and use of the members and ministers of The Wesleyan Church and subject to its Discipline, regulations, and appointments, as from time to time legislated and declared, and shall contain the trust clause as set forth in 4610 (4590–4630). (The regulations for an incorporated district are set forth in 4100–4150.)
2. Management and Control
- (1) Carry out the directions of the district conference (1180:19–20; 1233:14–15) and, in the interim of its sessions, have power to act on its own resolution to acquire, purchase, sell, exchange, mortgage, deed in trust, pledge, rent, lease, and convey any property, real, personal, or mixed, as may be deemed necessary or convenient for the purpose of the district and so to order the district board of trustees (1360–1365; 4855), provided that in transactions concerning real property used for district purposes, such as a district parsonage, headquarters, or campground, the district board of administration shall consult with the General Superintendent (1935), and further provided that said district board of administration shall be subject to the general regulations concerning property as set forth in 4500–4630.
- (2) Carry out the directions of the district conference (1180:19–20; 1233:14–15), and in the interim of its sessions, direct the district board of trustees (1360–1365; 4855) concerning any and all donations, bequests, and devises of any kind or character, real or personal, that may be given, devised, bequeathed, or conveyed to the district, or to the district board of trustees as such, for any benevolent, charitable, or religious purpose, and direct the board of trustees in the administration of such in accordance with the directions of the donor, trustor, or testator, and in the interest of the church, institution, organization, or agency contemplated by such donor, trustor, or testator.
- (3) Supervise, control, and maintain all district property.
- (4) Space reserved.
- (5) Act in regard to the disposition of the proceeds from the sale of local church or circuit property, and the discontinuance or disposal of abandoned property (4720–4738).
- (6) When district property is sold, the district board of administration may approve the use of the proceeds from the sale of the property to fund ongoing ministries that previously took place on the property that was sold, with written approval of the General Superintendent.
- (7) Intervene and institute all necessary legal and equitable actions to safeguard and protect the rights and interests of the district and of The Wesleyan Church, including all matters relating to the property and rights to property, including any property held by a local church, circuit, or other organization within the district, whether arising by gift, devise, or otherwise, or where held in trust for the benefit and use of the members and ministers of the district and The Wesleyan Church (4770–4790).
- (8) Direct the district superintendent in the care and preservation of all legal and property records for the local churches and the district (4760).