Chapter 6: Global Partners Division
2258. Vision. The ultimate objective of The Wesleyan Church is to fulfill the Great Commission of the Lord Jesus Christ by sharing with all people the good news and glorious experience of full salvation.
2259. Purpose. The Global Partners Division is responsible for carrying out the missionary objectives of The Wesleyan Church in those fields and areas beyond the national borders of the United States and Canada, and in such other places as shall be assigned to it as approved by the General Conference or the General Board.
2261. Executive Director. The Executive Director of the Global Partners Division is elected by the General Conference from among the ordained ministers of The Wesleyan Church as a general official, and is an ex officio member of the General Conference (1503:1c) and the Executive Cabinet (1990). The Executive Director of Global Partners is amenable to the General Board, serves as a nonvoting resource person to the board, and is under the supervision of the General Superintendent. The Executive Director of Global Partners shall exercise leadership in this division in keeping with The Discipline, the General Board Policy for the Global Partners Division, and other directives as may be given by the General Conference, the General Board, or its Executive Board. The term of service and other regulations for this office are provided for in 1810-1870.
2262. Strategic Directives. The strategic directives of the Global Partners Division and its executive director shall be to:
- (1) Evangelize the nations of the earth, seeking the salvation of the individuals and the entire sanctification of believers as the primary responsibility of all missionary work.
- (2) Gather the converts into churches and enlist them in the work of God’s kingdom.
- (3) Give special emphasis to the training of workers and leaders for the Church.
- (4) Share the benefits of the gospel and facilitate evangelistic work through specialized ministries such as medical, educational, literacy, and benevolent work.
- (5) Promote, in accordance with scriptural and indigenous principles, the growth and development of the churches in each field or area to a church body that is spiritually mature, well organized, financially responsible, and missionary minded, and that can assume its place in The Wesleyan Church.
- (6) Further, the specific vision, mission, global strategic plan, core missiological values, and general duties for the Global Partners Division shall be prepared by the divisional leadership in collaboration with the General Superintendent and be presented to the Executive Cabinet for ratification and to the General Board for final approval.
2272. A missionary or other worker duly appointed to serve under the Global Partners Division may retain membership in the local church and district where membership is held as of the time of appointment by the General Board. The missionary or other worker shall also relate to the national church where assigned and shall hold membership as set forth in The Discipline or other regulations adopted for the particular field to which assigned and according to the General Board Policy for Global Partners. The missionary or other worker shall be amenable for all conduct to the proper authorities on the field or area of service, the Executive Director of Global Partners, and the General Board as set forth in the General Board Policy on Church Discipline and the General Board Policy for the Global Partners Division.
4. Organization of Mission Units
2275. Mission units under the Global Partners Division shall be organized on four levels:
- (1) A developing district shall be a unit which does not meet the requirements for an established district.
- (2) An established district shall be a unit with a minimum of twenty churches and seven hundred fifty members.
- (3) A national or regional conference shall be a unit with two or more developing or established districts.
2278. Mission units under the Global Partners Division shall be entitled to send representatives to the North American General Conference on a plan of representation determined by the General Board.
2281. Membership Rights. In keeping with the Statement of Relationship (6730) contained in the Essentials (see the Charter of The International Conference of The Wesleyan Church), members of units under the Global Partners Division have the right to transfer membership not only among local Wesleyan churches but also from one unit under the division to any other unit under the division, or to districts within the United States or Canada (2550), subject to paragraph 567.
2284. Transfer of Ministers. The transfer of ministerial credentials from one unit under the Global Partners Division to any other unit under the division, or to any district of the United States or Canada, may be effected with the understanding that consideration must be given to differences in requirements for licensing and ordination of ministers as provided for in the various books of discipline of units worldwide (6730).
2287. Eligibility for Holding Office. As outlined in paragraph 2500:5, units under the Global Partners Division are expected to adopt, subject to the approval of the General Board, a discipline or other similar document for the administration of the churches within their boundaries. While the right to be elected to office is worldwide, the right to hold office shall be exercised within the administrative jurisdiction of each book of discipline.