53:1 Who has believed our message
- and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
53:2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
- and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
- nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
53:3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
- a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
- he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.
53:4 Surely he took up our pain
- and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
- stricken by him, and afflicted.
53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
- he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
- and by his wounds we are healed.
53:6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
- each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
- the iniquity of us all.
53:7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
- yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
- and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
- so he did not open his mouth.
53:8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
- Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
- for the transgression of my people he was punished.
53:9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
- and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
- nor was any deceit in his mouth.
53:10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
- and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
- and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
53:11 After he has suffered,
- he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
- and he will bear their iniquities.
53:12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
- and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
- and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
- and made intercession for the transgressors.