From Wesleyan Discipline
C. District Secretary
1330. The district secretary shall be elected by the district conference by ballot and by majority vote (1180:30; cf. 1175:1). The qualifications, term of office, amenability, and other regulations are those of a district official as defined in 1255-1272.
1332. The duties of the district secretary are to:
- (1) Be the secretary of the district conference, recording accurately and completely the proceedings of each session and forwarding the same to the Executive Director of Communication and Administration for distribution to the general offices and divisions (1178:4).
- (2) Serve as a member and as the secretary of the district board of administration (1203; 1224), recording accurately and completely the proceedings of each session and preserving them in permanent form, forwarding a copy of the minutes of each session to each member of the board and to the General Superintendent.
- (3) Issue official notices and communications from the district conference and from the district board of administration; and to keep permanent file copies of all correspondence, reports, and other records.
- (4) Issue and sign all certificates, licenses, and other official forms as properly authorized by the district and as prescribed for a district secretary by the General Conference or General Board (1310:23).
- (5) Forward promptly to the Executive Director of Communication and Administration the statistical and financial reports of the district conference as may be required by the General Board; a certified list of the General Conference delegates, and the certification of an alternate when a delegate is unable to attend (1512-1518); a copy of each memorial adopted for presentation to the General Conference; a copy of the official district directory for inclusion in the denominational directory, and of each change in the directory as it occurs (1332:8); and to cooperate in forwarding other information requested by the Executive Director of Communication and Administration.
- (6) Be the custodian of the official district records and archives, except as otherwise provided for in The Discipline (1387; 4760), and to be instructed by the district board of administration as to the exercise of such custody (1233:15).
- (7) Receive an official copy of the minutes of each board, committee, auxiliary organization or other district agency, and to preserve them in the district archives.
- (8) Maintain a complete and current district directory, listing the district ministers and officers, the address of each mission, developing church, church, circuit, and parsonage within the bounds of the district, and other information as desired (1240).
- (9) Notify all churches and ministerial members of the district of the time and place of the next regular session of the district conference at least sixty days in advance (1112), and to notify them of any reconvened sessions as directed by the district board of administration (1115).
- (10) Perform such other duties as may be required by the district conference or the district board of administration and as pertain to this office.