2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1100-1109
1100. Allotment. The district board of administration shall assign to each church or circuit the specific number of lay delegates which it shall elect as its representatives to the district conference, in keeping with the provision in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1086 for the total number of lay delegates and subject to the following regulations:
- (1) The district board of administration shall first determine the total number of lay delegates required for the next session of the district conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1086) which shall initially equal the number of ministerial voting members eligible at the time such determination is made (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1083:1-5). The district board of administration may adjust this number of lay delegates downward to be not fewer than the highest number of ministerial voting members who answered the roll call in each of the last three district conferences.
- (2) One lay delegate shall first be allotted to each pastoral charge (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:315:7; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:528:3; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:317; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:503), including any developing churches deemed qualified (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:510:5; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1086).
- (3) One shall be subtracted from the number needed to balance the ministerial vote for each lay member of the district board of administration.
- (4) The number of lay delegates yet required for the next district conference shall be allotted to the pastoral charges according to a ratio of representation. In fixing the ratio of representation, the members as listed on the statistical report of the preceding district conference, shall be considered. The district board of administration shall establish the ratio of representation and apply it in such a manner as to assign the exact number of delegates to be elected by each pastoral charge.
- (5) The district shall promptly notify each pastor of the exact number of lay delegates allotted to that particular pastoral charge.
1103. Election. The lay delegates to the district conference shall be elected at any duly called session of the local church conference or circuit conference, by ballot, and by a majority vote of those members present and voting (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:823; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:965). In the case of a developing church, election shall be by the local advisory council, subject to approval by the district superintendent (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:510:3,5). A person accepting election as a delegate has an obligation to attend faithfully the entire district conference session, unless hindered by unforeseen and justifiable circumstances. The local church secretary shall promptly forward a certified list of the elected lay delegates to the district secretary. 1106. Alternate Delegates. A sufficient number of alternate lay delegates having the same qualifications (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1109) shall be elected in the same manner and at the same session as the delegates (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1103), and shall fill any vacancies in the order of their election. Whenever an alternate delegate is required to serve, the pastor or local church secretary shall certify this appointment to the district secretary. 1109. Qualifications. A lay delegate must be a member who meets the leadership qualifications (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:260-268; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:558) and in good standing of the pastoral charge represented, both at the time of election and at the time of the district conference. An ordained, commissioned or licensed minister may not be elected or serve as a lay delegate.