2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1203–1230
1203. Composition. The district board of administration is composed of the district superintendent, the assistant district superintendent(s) (if any, cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1320), the district secretary, the district treasurer, and members-at-large according to the size of the district:
- (1) When a district has fewer than fifty churches, the district conference shall elect at least five members-at-large to the district board of administration, making a total board of not fewer than eight members, elected so that at least three are lay members (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1203:3).
- (2) When a district has fifty or more churches, the district conference shall elect at least seven members-at-large to the district board of administration, making a total of not fewer than ten members, elected so that at least four are lay members (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1203:3).
- (3) Whenever a district conference chooses to elect more than the minimum number of members-at-large to its district board of administration, due regard shall be given to elect a proportionate number of lay members.
1206. Regulations for a Member-at-Large. Each member-at-large of a district board of administration shall be a member who meets the leadership qualifications (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:260-268; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:558) of a local Wesleyan church within the district of service, both at the time of election and throughout the tenure of membership. A ministerial member-at-large shall be chosen from among the ordained ministers of the district. The term of office shall be for one year or two years (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1282), and the member-at-large shall serve from the close of the district conference at which elected until the close of the prescribed term or until a successor is elected and qualified. Regulations governing the amenability of a member-at-large of the district board of administration and the declaring and filling of a vacancy in such office are the same as those for district officials set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1265 and 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1272 (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:28a).
1209. Organizing Sessions. The district board of administration shall meet immediately after the close of the district conference for an organizing session:
- (1) To care for any business delegated to it by the district conference which requires immediate attention.
- (2) To appoint or employ a district treasurer (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1335), when such has been authorized by the district conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:33).
- (3) To elect those departmental officers and members of boards, leadership teams or committees and to elect or ratify the election of those officers of auxiliaries, whose terms expire at the time of the district board’s organizing session (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:20).
- (4) To make plans for the year and to care for any other business as deemed necessary.
1212. Regular Sessions. The district board of administration shall meet at such time and place as it shall determine, provided that it shall meet at least once each quarter.
1215. Special Sessions. The district board of administration may authorize special sessions as it deems necessary, or it may be called into special session by the district superintendent or in the event of an emergency when the district superintendent is unable to act, by the assistant district superintendent, if any, or if more than one assistant district superintendent, the one designated vice- chair (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1320; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1323:2), or the General Superintendent or the General Superintendent’s representative. A special session shall also be called when requested by the General Board or its Executive Board, or the General Superintendent. All members shall be notified at least one week in advance of a special session, except when all are able to meet on shorter notice.
1218. Evaluation Sessions. The General Superintendent shall, with the district board of administration, evaluate periodically the service of and financial provision for the district superintendent. The method and extent of such evaluation shall be determined by the General Superintendent with special attention focused on those responsibilities that are most likely to contribute to future outreach and growth to the glory of God.
D. Organization and Procedures
1221. Chair. The district superintendent shall preside as chair over the district board of administration. The designated assistant district superintendent, if any, shall preside in the absence of the district superintendent or when requested to do so by the district superintendent (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1320). If neither is present, the board shall elect from among its members a chair pro tem.
1224. Secretary. The district secretary is the secretary of the district board of administration by virtue of this office.
1227. Quorum. A majority of all members of the board shall constitute a quorum.
1230. Voting. A majority of those present and voting shall be sufficient except for those matters for which a larger majority is required by The Discipline or by legal or corporate requirements.