2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1233:29–41
From Wesleyan Discipline
- (29) To organize and supervise all pastoral charges of the district in accord with The Discipline and other district directives so that each one may be an effective unit of The Wesleyan Church; to guard carefully the spiritual life and general welfare of all the churches; to plan and conduct conventions, institutes or seminars for pastors and other workers in the district, promoting such for the purpose of spiritual refreshment, leadership development, greater efficiency, and a more united effort within the district and the General Church.
- (30) To authorize the establishment of a mission (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:537; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:655:15), a developing church (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:510), an urban missional church (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:523), and a church, (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:518) and to receive a report from the district superintendent on the effecting of such organizations (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:520:6); to reclassify an established church as a developing church when its number of members drops to 20 or fewer (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:518:5); and to declare a church as discontinued or abandoned (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:24; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4730). Any established church that is not under discipline may not be discontinued without a corroborating vote of the local church conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:655:14).
- (31) To receive the report of the district superintendent concerning the actions of the local advisory council of each developing church (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:510:3).
- (32) To approve all pastoral agreements and make all ministerial appointments in the interim of district conference sessions, subject to the final approval of the district conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:715; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:722:1, 3).
- (33) To approve in writing the proposal of a local church conference for the acquisition, purchase, sale, mortgage, transfer or other disposal of real property in accord with the provisions in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4700-4780 (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4000-4070), after first receiving a written report and recommendation from the district building committee when such is required as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1345; to advise, or appoint an investment committee to advise, a local board of administration when a local church has received an out-of-pattern contribution with value equal to or exceeding the total contributions of the preceding year (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:782:35); to authorize the incorporation of a local church in keeping with 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4000 (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:655:14; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4010:6); to approve the name of a new church or name change or adaptation requested by a developing or established church.
- (34) To supervise and coordinate the merger of two or more churches and to establish the procedures for such mergers. The plans for merger initiated by the local board or boards of administration must be submitted for consideration and approval to the district board of administration before presenting the proposals to the local church conference for consideration and vote.
- (35) To approve the plans of a local board of administration for the establishment of a day care and/or day school, and after its establishment to approve any significant change in mission, facilities or finances (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:655:19; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:782:36-37).
- (36) To take charge of any complaints or accusations against a local church or circuit within the district and to carry out disciplinary proceedings as deemed necessary in accord with the General Board Policy on Church Discipline (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5300-5325; cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5221); to intervene and protect the property rights of The Wesleyan Church and the district as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4010:6; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4770; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4840:6; and to authorize the district superintendent to call for an affirmation of loyalty and to reorganize a local church as set forth in The General Board Policy on Church Discipline (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5300-5325).
- (37) To grant temporary recognition (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1390:3) to ordained ministers, commissioned ministers, licensed ministers, and commissioned special workers or persons with equivalent standing, from other denominations, as being in process of transfer, subject to the action of the next district conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:29a, d, e; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:29).
- (38) To appoint the desired number of ordained ministers as a council of ordination (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1405), except when the district conference shall designate the ordained ministers on the district board of ministerial development as the council of ordination (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:34; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1390:6); and, in case of emergency, in the interim of district conference sessions, to elect to ordination a candidate recommended by the district board of ministerial development (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:3070:5).
- (39) To consider and pass on the proposed resignation by, or a proposed vote on, a pastor after the renewal of the call, when such is considered before the term of service expires or in the interim of quadrennial reviews (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:722:2); or to remove a pastor by a two-thirds majority vote of all members of the district board of administration in keeping with the provisions of 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:712; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:722:3; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:22; and to appoint a supply pastor, if necessary, until another pastor has been obtained (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:715); or to remove a supply pastor by a majority vote if deemed necessary (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:3260:5); and to appoint an interim pastor or to remove an interim pastor by a majority vote (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:3261:2).
- (40) To take charge of judicial proceedings, the ordering of investigation (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5012) or hearing, for any ordained minister, commissioned minister, licensed minister, ministerial student, commissioned or licensed special worker or other worker under the jurisdiction of the district (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5200), in accord with the provisions of the General Board Policy on Church Discipline (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5203-5215).
- (41) To represent the district, in the interim of district conference sessions, in judicial proceedings over matters of controversy between the district and other local, district or general units or agencies (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:323:10; cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5445:2, 4).