2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1503-1526
1. Plan of Representation
1503. The General Conference shall be composed of voting and nonvoting members as follows:
- (1) The voting members shall consist of an equal number of ordained ministers and lay members of The Wesleyan Church (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:325):
- (a) The district superintendent of each district and provisional district and a lay delegate elected at the same time and in the same manner as the other delegates (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1512-1526).
- (b) One ministerial and one lay delegate elected by an established district for every seven hundred fifty members and major fraction thereof. The district superintendent and the lay delegate elected (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1503:1a) shall be the representatives for the first seven hundred fifty members.
- (c) The general officials of the Church as defined in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1800, the General Superintendents Emeriti, members of the General Board who are not voting members by some other right, the presidents of the general educational institutions (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:2365), the general directors of Hephzibah Ministries, Wesleyan Investment Foundation, Wesleyan Native Ministries, the Wesleyan Pension Fund, the Wesleyan Bible Conference Association, and such delegates-at-large as shall be necessary to maintain parity between ordained ministers and lay members (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1508-1510).
- (2) The following when they are not voting members by some other right shall be seated as nonvoting members when present at the General Conference session: former General Superintendents and superintendents of developing districts (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1015).
- (3) The General Board shall designate the number of nonvoting members from mission units under the Global Partners Division, upon recommendation of the Executive Director of Global Partners.
2. Forfeiture of Representation
1506. A district or provisional district which has been placed under discipline as provided for in the General Board Policy on Church Discipline (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5365-5370), shall forfeit all rights to any representation in the General Conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:323:9). The delegates, including the district superintendent and any delegate-at-large from that district, shall not be recognized or seated until the district or provisional district they represent is officially reinstated (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5365).
3. Election of Delegates
1508. The election of delegates-at-large shall be arranged for by the recommendation of the Executive Director of Communication and Administration and the approval of the General Board in accordance with the following regulations:
- (1) The parity of equal ministerial and lay membership in the General Conference shall be maintained (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:325; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:360:3b).
- (2) The established districts shall be considered in alphabetical order, and each eligible district in turn shall be appointed to elect one delegate-at-large. A provisional district shall not be eligible to elect a delegate-at-large.
1510. The General Board shall act upon the recommendation of the Executive Director of Communication and Administration in one of its sessions consistent with the provisions of paragraph 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1512. The delegates-at-large shall be elected by the appointed districts at the same time and in the same manner as the other General Conference delegates (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1512-1526).
1512. The delegates to the General Conference shall be elected by the district conference, by ballot and by majority vote, at its last annual session preceding the General Conference. When the last annual session is within sixty days of the opening date of the General Conference, the district conference may elect its delegates at the previous annual session. The statistical report for the annual session of the district conference at which the delegates are elected shall be used for determining the number of members, and consequently, the number of General Conference delegates (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1503:1b). A certified list of all delegates to the General Conference shall be promptly forwarded by the district secretary to the Executive Director of Communication and Administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1332:5).
1514. A person accepting election as a delegate is obligated to attend faithfully the entire General Conference session, unless hindered by unforeseen and justifiable circumstances (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1541).
c. Alternate Delegates
1516. Alternate delegates shall be the remaining nominees not elected to serve as General Conference delegates and shall fill vacancies in the descending order of votes received (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1332:5).
1518. Whenever the district superintendent, who is an ex officio member of the General Conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1503:1a), is unable to attend, the place of the district superintendent shall be filled by the assistant district superintendent (if any). If the assistant district superintendent is an elected delegate to the General Conference, the place of the assistant district superintendent shall then be filled like any other vacancy by an alternate ministerial delegate.
4. Qualifications of Delegates
a. Ministerial Delegates
1520. A ministerial delegate must be an ordained minister who is a member of the district represented, both at the time of election and at the time of the General Conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:327:2).
1522. Whenever a ministerial delegate-elect shall transfer membership to another district, the right to represent the district shall be vacated and an alternate ministerial delegate shall be certified (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1332:5; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1516)
b. Lay Delegates
1524. A lay delegate must be a lay person who is a member with the leadership qualifications (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:260-268; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:558) of a local church in the district represented, both at the time of election and at the time of the General Conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:327:3).
1526. Whenever a lay delegate-elect shall cease to meet the requirements in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1524, the right to represent the district shall be vacated and an alternate lay delegate shall be certified (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1516).