2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1750–1790
G. The Executive Board
1750. The Executive Board carries out the will of the General Board, serving as necessary in the interim of General Board sessions.
1755. The Executive Board shall be composed of the General Superintendent, the vice-chair of the General Board (who shall serve as the vice-chair of the Executive Board), and three ordained ministers and three lay members to be elected from among the area representatives by the General Board. They shall serve from the close of the session at which they are elected until the close of the next session of the General Conference or until their successors are elected and qualified. Whenever an area representative on the Executive Board ceases to be a member of the General Board, the General Board shall declare the office vacant and shall fill the vacancy in such a manner as to maintain the representation provided for herewith (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1655:11).
1760. The Executive Board shall meet immediately prior to each meeting of the General Board and at other times and places as it may determine or upon the call of the chair.
1765. Chair. The chair and vice-chair of the General Board shall serve as chair and vice-chair, respectively, of the Executive Board.
1770. Secretary. The Executive Director of Communication and Administration of The Wesleyan Church (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:2110; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4220) shall serve as secretary of the Executive Board by virtue of office but shall not be a member nor have the right to vote.
1775. Quorum. A majority of all members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum.
1780. Voting. A majority vote of all those present and voting shall be sufficient except for those matters for which a larger majority is required by The Discipline, by legal or corporate requirements, or by the policies and regulations of the General Board.
5. Duties, Powers and Restrictions
1785. In the interim of General Board sessions, the Executive Board shall exercise such powers and have such duties as may be assigned to it by The Discipline or by the General Board, including the power:
- (1) To transact all business referred to it by the General Board; to change the time and place of a regular session of the General Board if circumstances require it (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1615); and to order a special session of the General Board if deemed necessary (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1620).
- (2) To transact any and all other business the General Board may transact except that the Executive Board shall not make recommendations directly to the General Conference, nor take final action on the adoption of the annual budgets (1655:23) nor the amending of General Board policies (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1655), nor transact any business which requires more than a simple majority vote of the General Board (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1530; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1532; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1655:6, 11, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 40a, 40b, 44; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4300; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5279; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5365).
- (3) To provide overall correlation of corporate entities, divisions, agencies, auxiliaries, and institutions in planning and carrying out programs adopted by the General Conference and the General Board.
- (4) To serve as the members of the budget committee with the General Treasurer/Chief Financial Officer serving as a non-voting member of that committee.
- (5) To require reports from all such officers as it shall designate and to consult with and give direction to the same.
- (6) To receive a report from the General Superintendent regarding the annual review of all General Officers based on mutually agreed goals and objectives (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1935:17) and issue a report of the same to the General Board (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1655:29).
- (7) To take emergency action by a two-thirds majority vote of all the members of the Executive Board, suspending from office a person under the jurisdiction of the General Board (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1655:37), pending the action of the General Board. In the case of a general official (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1800), no more than thirty days shall elapse from the time such suspension is effected until the General Board shall review the matter, either through a regular or special session.
- (8) To appoint such subcommittees as it shall deem wise, and to delegate duties and powers to the same.
1790. Minutes of the Executive Board meetings shall be forwarded promptly by the Executive Director of Communication and Administration to all members of the General Board for their information and review.