2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 4830–4840
4830. Unincorporated District. Except when local laws shall otherwise require, all grants, conveyances, devises, gifts, transfers, and assignments, now owned or hereafter made, of any property, real, personal or mixed, to or for any unincorporated district or any organization, board or similar body connected thereto and for any local property held by such a district (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4660; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4680), shall be held by and/or conveyed to its duly elected board of trustees (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1360–1365; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4855), and to their successors in office and to their assigns, as the board of trustees, of said district, in trust for the benefit and use of the members and ministers of The Wesleyan Church and subject to its Discipline, regulations and appointments, as from time to time legislated and declared and shall contain the trust clause as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4610 (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4590–4630). (The regulations for an incorporated district are set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4100–4150.)
2. Management and Control
4840. The district board of administration shall have the following duties and powers concerning the district property and such local property as may be held by the district (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4660; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4680):
- (1) To carry out the directions of the district conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:22; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:15), and, in the interim of its sessions, to have power to act on its own resolution to acquire, purchase, sell, exchange, mortgage, deed in trust, pledge, rent, lease, and convey any property, real, personal or mixed, as may be deemed necessary or convenient for the purpose of the district and so to order the district board of trustees (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1360–1365; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4855), provided that in transactions concerning real property used for district purposes such as a district parsonage, headquarters or campground, the district board of administration shall consult with the General Superintendent (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1935:36), and further provided that said district board of administration shall be subject to the general regulations concerning property as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4500–4630.
- (2) To carry out the directions of the district conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:22; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:15), and in the interim of its sessions, to direct the district board of trustees (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1360–1365; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4855) concerning any and all donations, bequests, and devises of any kind or character, real or personal, that may be given, devised, bequeathed or conveyed to the district, or to the district board of trustees as such, for any benevolent, charitable or religious purpose, and to direct the board of trustees in the administration of such in accordance with the directions of the donor, trustor or testator, and in the interest of the church, institution, organization or agency contemplated by such donor, trustor or testator.
- (3) To supervise, control and maintain all district property.
- (4) To receive a report from the district building committee as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1345 and to approve in writing the proposal of a local church to acquire, purchase, encumber, sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of real property as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4040–4070 and 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4700–4720.
- (5) To act in regard to the disposition of the proceeds from the sale of local church or circuit property as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4720, and the discontinuance or disposal of abandoned property as set forth in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4730.
- (6) When district property is sold, the district board of administration may approve the use of the proceeds from the sale of the property to fund ongoing ministries that previously took place on the property that was sold with written approval of the General Superintendent.
- (7) To intervene and institute all necessary legal and equitable actions to safeguard and protect the rights and interests of the district and of The Wesleyan Church, including all matters relating to the property and rights to property, including any property held by a local church, circuit or other organization within the district, whether arising by gift, devise or otherwise, or where held in trust for the benefit and use of the members and ministers of the district and The Wesleyan Church (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4770–4780).
- (8) To direct the district superintendent in the care and preservation of all legal and property records for the local churches and the district (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4760).