2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 510:1-5
From Wesleyan Discipline
- (1) The pastor shall be selected by the district board of administration and appointed by the district conference, except in the interim of district conference sessions when the district board of administration shall have full power of appointment.
- (2) A membership roll shall be maintained, ordinarily for one to twenty-four members. Candidates for membership shall be examined and recommended by the pastor until such a time as a local advisory council is formed and assumes this duty; and their reception shall be authorized by the district superintendent (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:17).
- (3) As soon as qualified members are available, the district superintendent, in cooperation with the pastor, may appoint a local advisory council of three to five members. The pastor shall serve as chair of this council (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:807; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:17). The council shall exercise the duties and powers of a local board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:782), making all recommendations to the district superintendent or the district board of administration instead of the local church conference (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:17). All investments in land, buildings, and equipment (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:33; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4650–4670), matters involving employed staff, and other major decisions must be authorized by the district board of administration; and all actions of the local advisory council shall be subject to the review and approval of the district superintendent. The local advisory council shall be responsible to assist the district superintendent in qualifying the church as quickly as possible for organization as an established church.
- (4) All property of a developing church shall be held by the district, with titles secured as given in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4660.
- (5) A developing church may have one lay delegate to the district conference when so assigned by the district board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1086; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1100:2; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1103).