2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 5115–5120
B. Disciplinary Measures
5115. Definition of Penalties. There shall be five degrees of discipline for the administration of discipline, as outlined in paragraph 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5023.
5120. Assignment of Disciplinary Measures. The local board of administration shall be governed by the seriousness of the offense and by the following regulations in the assignment of disciplinary measures:
- (1) Anyone declared guilty of holding or teaching any doctrine contrary to the Articles of Religion of The Wesleyan Church as stated in The Discipline (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5010:1) shall be dismissed (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5023:5), unless the local board of administration is of the opinion that the offense has ceased, in which case the discipline shall be either that of admonition, rebuke, or suspension.
- (2) Disobedience to The Discipline, or tolerating such disobedience (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5010:2), shall result in such discipline as deemed advisable.
- (3) Willful refusal to recognize properly constituted authority (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5010:3) shall result in such discipline as deemed advisable.
- (4) Conduct unbecoming a member (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5010:4), including but not limited to dishonesty, or sowing dissension, shall result in removal and/or dismissal (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5023:4-5), unless the local board of administration believes the offender is truly penitent, in which case the offender shall be rebuked or indefinitely suspended (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5023:2-3) until such time as the proper authorities are satisfied that the accused has reasonably demonstrated genuine Christian character in accord with the standards of The Wesleyan Church.
- (5) Sexual immorality, including but not limited to adultery, fornication, homosexual practice or other acts involving moral turpitude shall result in immediate dismissal from the Church (Disc. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:265:5; GBP-2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5023:5).
- (6) Serious or persistent neglect of duties (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5010:6) shall result in suspension or removal, unless corrected, in which case a lesser discipline may be imposed.