2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 553
From Wesleyan Discipline
553. Persons to be admitted to membership in The Wesleyan Church shall be those who meet the conditions set forth in the Constitution (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:297:1-4).
- (1) Candidates for membership shall be examined by the local board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:782:8; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:835-837), to determine whether they meet the requirements of the Constitution concerning their experience of regeneration, Christian baptism, their willingness to be instructed in and acceptance of the Articles of Religion, Elementary Principles and the authority of The Discipline in matters of church government, and their willingness to enter into a membership and discipleship relationship with The Wesleyan Church through the local church.
- (2) Candidates for membership who have satisfactorily passed the examination by the local board of administration, shall be voted upon by the local church conference unless the local church conference has delegated this responsibility to the local board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:567; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:655:1). In either case, it shall require a majority vote of those present and voting to receive; and if objections are urged against the reception of a member, it shall require a two- thirds vote of those present and voting.
- (3) Members will be asked to reaffirm their commitment to their experience of regeneration, Christian baptism, their acceptance of the Articles of Religion, Elementary Principles and the authority of The Wesleyan Church in matters of church government, and their willingness to continue a membership and discipleship accountability relationship with The Wesleyan Church through the local church annually. The local board of administration shall carry out this annual reaffirmation process in a fair and responsible manner, taking care to preserve both the life and health of the church as well as the established rights of the member. If a member chooses not to participate in the annual reaffirmation process, that choice will be considered as a voluntary withdrawal from membership.
- (4) Persons who have been duly accepted for membership as explained in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:553:2, should be received into membership in a public service, in which they shall make their confession and vows public, (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5565), and be given the right hand of fellowship by the pastor or the representative of the pastor.