From Wesleyan Discipline
B. Disciplinary Measures
5115. Definition of Penalties. There shall be five degrees of discipline for the administration of discipline, as outlined in paragraph 5023.
5120. Assignment of Disciplinary Measures. The local board of administration shall be governed by the seriousness of the offense and by the following regulations in the assignment of disciplinary measures:
- (1) Anyone declared guilty of holding or teaching any doctrine contrary to the Articles of Religion of The Wesleyan Church as stated in The Discipline (5010:1) shall be dismissed (5023:5), unless the local board of administration is of the opinion that the offense has ceased, in which case the discipline shall be either that of admonition, rebuke, or suspension.
- (2) Disobedience to The Discipline, or tolerating such disobedience (5010:2), shall result in such discipline as deemed advisable.
- (3) Willful refusal to recognize properly constituted authority (5010:3) shall result in such discipline as deemed advisable.
- (4) Conduct unbecoming a member (5010:4), including but not limited to dishonesty, or sowing dissension, shall result in removal and/or dismissal (5023:4-5), unless the local board of administration believes the offender is truly penitent, in which case the offender shall be rebuked or indefinitely suspended (5023:2-3) until such time as the proper authorities are satisfied that the accused has reasonably demonstrated genuine Christian character in accord with the standards of The Wesleyan Church.
- (5) Sexual immorality, including but not limited to adultery, fornication, homosexual practice or other acts involving moral turpitude shall result in immediate dismissal from the Church (Disc. 265:5; GBP-5023:5).
- (6) Serious or persistent neglect of duties (5010:6) shall result in suspension or removal, unless corrected, in which case a lesser discipline may be imposed.