51:1 Have mercy on me, O God,
- according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
- blot out my transgressions.
51:2 Wash away all my iniquity
- and cleanse me from my sin.
51:3 For I know my transgressions,
- and my sin is always before me.
51:4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
- and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
- and justified when you judge.
51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
- sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
51:6 Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
- you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
51:7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
- wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
51:8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
- let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
51:9 Hide your face from my sins
- and blot out all my iniquity.
51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
- and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
51:11 Do not cast me from your presence
- or take your Holy Spirit from me.
51:12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
- and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
51:13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
- so that sinners will turn back to you.
51:14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
- you who are God my Savior,
- and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
51:15 Open my lips, Lord,
- and my mouth will declare your praise.
51:16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
- you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
51:17 My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
- a broken and contrite heart
- you, God, will not despise.
51:18 May it please you to prosper Zion,
- to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
51:19 Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
- in burnt offerings offered whole;
- then bulls will be offered on your altar.