2016 Wesleyan Discipline: 1330-1332
From Wesleyan Discipline
C. District Secretary
1330. The district secretary shall be elected by the district conference by ballot and by majority vote (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1180:33; cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1175:1). The qualifications, term of office, amenability, and other regulations are those of a district official as defined in 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1255-1272.
1332. The duties of the district secretary are:
- (1) To be the secretary of the district conference, recording accurately and completely the proceedings of each session and forwarding the same to the Executive Director of Communication and Administration for distribution to the general offices and divisions (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1178:4).
- (2) To serve as a member and as the secretary of the district board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1203; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1224), recording accurately and completely the proceedings of each session and preserving them in permanent form, forwarding a copy of the minutes of each session to each member of the board and to the General Superintendent.
- (3) To issue official notices and communications from the district conference and from the district board of administration; and to keep permanent file copies of all correspondence, reports, and other records.
- (4) To issue and sign all certificates, licenses, and other official forms as properly authorized by the district and as prescribed for a district secretary by the General Conference or General Board (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1310:26).
- (5) To forward promptly to the Executive Director of Communication and Administration: the statistical and financial reports of the district conference as may be required by the General Board; a certified list of the General Conference delegates, and the certification of an alternate when a delegate is unable to attend (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1512-1518); a copy of each memorial adopted for presentation to the General Conference; a copy of the official district directory for inclusion in the denominational directory, and of each change in the directory as it occurs (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1332:8); and to cooperate in forwarding other information to the Executive Director of Communication and Administration as the Executive Director may request.
- (6) To be the custodian of the official district records and archives, except as otherwise provided for in The Discipline (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1387; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:4760), including the records of the district statistical committee (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1352:3) and all district judicial committees (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5218; 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:5227), and to be instructed by the district board of administration as to the exercise of such custody (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1233:16).
- (7) To receive an official copy of the minutes of each board, committee, auxiliary organization or other district agency, and to preserve them in the district archives.
- (8) To maintain a complete and current district directory, listing the district officials, each district board or committee with the names of its members and officers, the district departmental officers (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1275), the names and addresses of each ordained minister, commissioned minister, licensed minister, ministerial student, commissioned and licensed special worker, and commissioned lay missionary, the address of each mission, developing church, church, circuit, and parsonage within the bounds of the district, and other information as desired (cf. 2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1240).
- (9) To aid in collecting books, documents, photographs or other historical materials for the historical archives of the denomination in cooperation with the Executive Director of Communication and Administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:2115:5).
- (10) To notify all churches and ministerial members of the district of the time and place of the next regular session of the district conference at least sixty days in advance (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1112), and to notify them of any reconvened sessions as directed by the district board of administration (2016 Wesleyan Discipline:1115).
- (11) To perform such other duties as may be required by the district conference or the district board of administration and as pertain to this office.